Custom Fields provide a more controlled taxonomy tool by adding key/value pairs to your assets. With controlled custom fields that support both single and multi-values, Brandfolder users will have the tools they need to ensure that their asset data is set up and maintained so that it works with the ecosystem of tools and data that you use every day. Custom Field keys can either be controlled by admins, or added freely by admins/collaborators.
How do I set up Controlled Custom Fields (Single & Multi-Value)?
- Go to the Settings button in the top right corner and select General Settings.
- Select the Advanced Tab. Ensure that Control Custom Fields is Enabled.
3. Now within settings, select the Custom Fields tab.
4. This is where custom field Key and Values are defined. Keys are required for controlled custom fields. Values can be provided or left blank so that other users can add values as needed.
- Multiple values can also be assigned to asset keys. If the allow multiple values checkbox is checked, asset keys can be assigned one or more of the values listed. To input multiple values you will want to use a comma to separate or press enter after each value. For example, for the key Channel, you could select ‘Direct Mail’, ‘E-mail’, and ‘Website’.
- Custom fields can be required by checking the Required checkbox. This ensures that when users upload assets they also have to input any required data in order to complete the asset upload. If a custom field is set to Required after assets are uploaded, the assets will still be in Brandfolder without the custom fields. It’s recommended that users download a CSV to retroactively add required custom fields for assets that are already in the Brandfolder.
Do note that once an asset has multiple keys for a value, this cannot be unchecked and controlled custom fields cannot be disabled until the multiple values are removed from the asset via Bulk Management. Check out the Managing Custom Fields in Bulk Management section of this article for more information.
5. Once you have set up the fields and values and you select Update Custom Fields. Assets can then be tagged with the Custom Fields through the asset modal, bulk toolbar, or bulk management screen.
Adding Custom Fields within the Asset Modal
Controlled custom fields can be defined for an asset in the asset modal. To do so you will want to navigate to the asset modal and select the edit tab. Within the edit tab there is another tab for custom fields.
For multi-value custom fields with predefined values (restricted entry), users can select multiple values to assign to the asset. To continue with the Channel example from before, you would click on the dropdown next to Channel and select the values you would like to include like ‘Direct Mail’, ‘Email’, and ‘Website’. When finished selecting values click save changes.
For single value custom fields, the users can only select one value from the dropdown menu. When finished selecting the value, click save changes.
For multi-value custom fields with no values defined (unrestricted entry), users can add multiple values into the asset modal by typing in the values and separating them with commas. Once a comma is placed after a value it will be entered into the system. Be sure to click save changes once you type in the values.
Finally, for single value custom fields, users will only be able to type in one value. Once the value is inputted, click save changes.
Do note that translations for single-value custom fields can be added via the asset modal. Translations for multi-value custom fields are not currently supported.
Once editing is complete, the multiple values can be viewed in the asset modal. They will be comma-separated.
Adding Custom Fields through the Bulk Toolbar
When multiple assets have been selected in a Brandfolder, users can use the bulk toolbar to add custom values. To select assets click on the checkboxes on the asset thumbnails. This will bring up the bulk toolbar along the bottom of the screen.
Within the bulk toolbar select, tag then choose the bulk custom fields tab in the new modal that pops up.
For custom fields that allow multiple values, the user can either select predefined values from a dropdown or add multiple values and select save.
Do note that if an asset has an existing single value custom field, bulk adding a different value will override the original value. If you bulk add values for a multi-value key it will add the values rather than override the original values.
For example, if you have a single key for destination set for "Banff" and use the bulk action bar and select "Florence" the custom field value for that asset will be "Florence".
If you have a multi value key set to "Direct Mail", "E-Mail", and "Website" and then select "E-Comm" in the bulk action bar, the custom field value for that asset will be "Direct Mail", "E-Mail", "Website", and "E-Comm".
Managing Custom Fields within Bulk Management
To manage custom fields you will want to navigate to settings and select bulk management. Within bulk management select the custom fields tab.
This area allows you to update the name, delete values from multiple assets at once, and see how many current assets are associated with it.
Custom Fields can also be prioritized. Prioritized custom fields are a way for Brandfolder admins to indicate which custom fields are the most important to end users. Prioritized custom fields will display at the top when viewing or editing in the asset modal in alphabetical order. The prioritized custom fields will also show up as filters in the advanced filters drawer.
To prioritize custom fields click the check box in the prioritized column next to the custom field key you want to select. Do note only 5 custom fields can be prioritized.
Also, if a Brandfolder wants to remove multi-value custom fields, the multi-values must be deleted from all assets in Bulk Management. For example if you want to remove the values associated with the key, Channel you will want to click on 4 values next to Channel.
This will bring up a new page where you can delete the current values that are in use by clicking on the red trash can next to each value.
Managing Custom Fields in Metasheets/CSV Upload:
Single and Multi-value custom fields can be updated for many assets using Metasheets.
When adding multiple values for a key, the values must be separated by a semicolon”;”. For example for the key Channel you would need to list the values as: Direct Mail;E-mail;Website.
Only keys that support multiple values will recognize the semicolon delimited format. This ensures that Keys can not accidentally be assigned more than one value. Do note that beginning and trailing semicolons will be ignored. Comma delimiting will also not work.
Managing Custom Fields in Search and Filtering:
Single value and Multi-value custom fields are also searchable. Single value custom fields are searchable by utilizing the syntax custom_fields.License source: "Getty.
Images" (return assets that have Getty Images as value for License source key). Multi-value custom fields are searchable by using ‘AND’ between multiple values so that only assets that meet all criteria will be returned. For example custom_fields.channel: "Direct Mail" AND "E-Mail" AND "Website" would return assets that have a channel of Direct Mail, E-Mail, and Website.
The advanced filters drawer will enable users to select multiple values for a prioritized custom field key. If two or more values are selected, the user can toggle ‘ANY / ALL’ to specify whether the asset contains any of the values or all of the values. Prioritized custom fields will show up at the top of the advanced filters drawer.
Uploads and Required Custom Fields
If Required Custom Fields are turned on for a Brandfolder, then users across all levels of permission will be required to add specific custom fields when assets are uploaded through the Brandfolder UI.
Admins and collaborators will be prompted to input values for required custom fields before selecting their assets to add to Brandfolder.
Guest users utilizing guest upload will be required to add specific custom fields when assets are uploaded. Guest users will be prompted to input the required fields before selecting the files they want to upload.
Files will be automatically uploaded to Brandfolder once they are selected.
- If controlled custom fields are enabled on the Brandfolder, all Custom Field keys will be displayed and the user can select the values from a dropdown.
- It takes a minute to process, so bulk operations may not be immediately available.
- Sort Order - Prioritized Custom Field Filters will not enable the Admin to define the order that the custom fields are displayed in.