Contentful is a modern content infrastructure for content publishers. Their platform lets users create, manage, and distribute content to any platform. Unlike a traditional Content Management System (CMS), Contentful provides total freedom to create unique content models.
Brandfolder + Contentful is a powerful combination of digital asset management with the best headless (back-end only) CMS on the market. The integration allows you to use digital assets stored in Brandfolder within your Contentful entries.
- Your Brandfolder API Key which can be found here
- A content type with a field of type JSON object to hold the references to Brandfolder assets
Step 1: Install and configure
Under field assignment, select the content type fields that you want this app to be used for. Please note that only compatible fields of type JSON object are displayed here.
Click Install to finish the installation and save the configuration.
Step 2: How to use the app
To reference an asset on Brandfolder from your entry:
- Click Select an asset on Brandfolder
- Submit your Brandfolder API key in the dialog
Your Brandfolder content will appear. The integration panel allows you to navigate your content just like you would within the Brandfolder by visiting the different levels of the Brandfolder hierarchy (Organizations, Brandfolders, and Collections).
Once you are at the Brandfolder or Collection level you have a few options to narrow down your content.
- You are able to filter by section by clicking on the arrow accordion to the left of the show attachments toggle.
- You can filter by custom fields, tags, etc by clicking on the filters button to the left of the search bar.
- You can search for assets by inputting different search syntaxes into the search bar. Various search syntaxes are outlined in the Searching in Brandfolder Knowledge Base article.
You can also view asset details by hovering over the asset, clicking the ellipses, and selecting view asset details.
- Select the asset that you would like to use by hovering over the asset and selecting place.
- Repeat for as many assets as you wish to include in your entry
Previews of your assets will now appear in your entry. These can be reordered by dragging and dropping, or removed by clicking the X in the upper right corner.
What to do if the entry editor displays the warning Field value is incompatible?
The JSON object field of this entry already contains data that was not generated by the Brandfolder app. Please ensure that you've selected the correct field in the app configuration to be used with Brandfolder, and that you no longer need the previously entered data. Then select I want to override the value using the App., which will initialize the field with an empty selection. Now you can start to add assets to your entry.
To access the underlying field value, deselect the field in the Brandfolder app configuration. This will reset the editor to the default JSON display for object fields.
If you have any questions about this integration please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.