Multi-Language Asset Details enables editable users (collaborators, admins, and owners) to easily add and edit asset names, descriptions, tags, and custom fields in multiple languages. Consumers of a Brandfolder (i.e. guest and non-users) can then read asset details in their preferred language.
There are multiple ways to edit assets in different languages. Before a user starts editing, it is important to select the Brandfolder's default language as well as the preferred languages. This can be done by navigating to the Brandfolder > Settings > General Settings > Advanced tab. From here you will see an option to select the default and preferred languages. A preferred language means it will be an option for your user base to select from.
Once these options have been configured, it is now time to edit our assets. The ways this can be done are:
- On the individual asset level
- Selecting multiple assets via the bulk actions toolbar
- Using the Metasheet functionality
Individual Asset Editing
This is a great option to update assets in an individual manner should the information be missing or just needing a quick update. This method includes allowing the user to update all user-facing data within the asset modal itself.
- Navigate to the asset you are wanting to edit. From there, select the Edit tab.
- In the top-right corner, select the language you would like to edit in. For this example, I selected Italian.
- You can now edit the name of the asset, description, tags, and custom fields in the chosen language.
- Select Save Changes when the editing is complete.
- Now when a user selects Italian as their locale, it will reflect the updated information that was just added.
Bulk Action Toolbar and Bulk Management Editing
Bulk editing of data in different languages is ideal to use when there are the same tags and/or custom fields that need to be added to a selection of assets within Brandfolder.
- Within the View Options, select from the Asset Info dropdown what language you would like to edit in.
- Select the assets you would like to update within the UI. From here, select Tag in the bulk actions toolbar.
- Choose either the Bulk Tag or Bulk Custom Fields tab to add the info in your desired language.
- Select Save. Now when a user selects that particular language as their locale, it will reflect the updated information that was just added.
Bulk Management Editing
Using the Bulk Management screen within Brandfolder is helpful to gain consistency as well as make sure the appropriate pieces of data are translated properly across the assets.
- Navigate to your Bulk Management screen by going to Settings > Bulk Management. From here, select either Custom Fields or Tags.
- Select the language you would like to edit your tags or custom fields in.
- Select Rename to either rename the custom field key or tag of your choosing. This updates how the tag or key will appear when a user selects that particular language as their locale.
Metasheet editing of languages is ideal when the editable user is needing to update multiple pieces of information across multiple languages. The steps to create a Metasheet can be found here. When editing the Metasheet, the user will want to add the specific pieces of data in the language they are wanting to update.
NOTE: You can only update one language at a time when uploading a CSV.
Once your Metasheet is created:
- Navigate to your Bulk Management screen by going to Settings > Bulk Management. From here, select Upload CSV.
- Select the language in the dropdown you are wanting to edit.
- Upload the CSV to the upload box. Now when a user selects that particular language as their locale, it will reflect the updated information that was just added via the CSV.
- Always be aware of the language that is selected when making updates.
- Updates you make do not automatically translate from one language to another. If you wish to see the same information appear in a different language, you will need to add it via one of the methods listed.
- Counts in bulk management reflect the number of tags/custom fields in the selected language.
How to Quickly Translate an Entire Brandfolder:
- Download all assets into a metasheet
- Use the Google Docs GOOGLETRANSLATE command
- Convert asset name, tags, and descriptions to the desired language
- Remove all columns that are not needed
- Re-upload the metasheet through bulk management (make sure to change the language to the desired language)
If you have any questions about this feature please contact email@example.com.