Brandfolder Custom Templating brings WYSIWYG template creation into Brandfolder so that admins and collaborators can easily build templates that other users can then customize. The integration currently supports digital, and print assets. These configurations are available if your organization is utilizing advanced templating. The features outlined below are not available in basic templating.
This Knowledge Base article covers step 1 of the creating templates which is configuring projects in preparation for creating templates. The steps it takes to create a Brandfolder template include:
1. Configuring Projects
2. Locking Projects
3. Saving a Project and Generating a Template
Brandfolder Custom Templates Words to Know
A Project is a working file for any template that is created from it.
A Template is end user-facing and is created from the Project. End users can customize elements within the Template including text, images, backgrounds, and shapes. These are all defined and are either locked or unlocked for editing by either the admin or collaborator.
Canvas size is the size of the Project and the resulting Template. Canvas sizes are often known based on the channel the asset will be used in. For example, the default Instagram post size is 1080px by 1080px.
Creating a New Asset
To create a new asset:
1. Within the section that you want the Template to live in, click on the Create New Asset Button. Do note: a Template can only be created in a file type section.
2. A new modal will appear. Select the type of project you want the template to be.
- Digital design: used for social media ads and websites using pixel-based dimensions.
- Print design: for projects that are high quality with bleed and CMYK using inches-based dimensions.
Creating a New Project
Once you select the project type a new modal will need to appear.
1. Name your project.
2. Choose one of the following:
- A specific canvas size. This will reveal multiple pre-defined options such as commonly used social posts (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, etc.)
- Upload an image. This will default the Project to the canvas size of the image uploaded.
- Create from an existing template. This will default the Project to the canvas size of the selected template.
3. Select Create Project in the bottom right-hand corner of the modal.
Building out a New Project
Admins and collaborators have the ability to add and adjust text, images, background, and shapes by clicking on the buttons on the left-hand side of the project navigation area. New pages can also be added and pages can also be cloned.
- Text: add text (headers, subheading, lines of text, bullet points) and select from a variety of fonts, colors, sizes, and alignments. The font file types that can be uploaded to Brandfolder Custom Templates are: .OTF, .TTF, .WOFF.
Text can be hyperlinked for a PDF file exported from your account. This is a valuable option if you wish to navigate the reader to a webpage. To hyperlink text in your Project, follow these steps:
- Click on text box you would like to hyperlink
- In the left menu locate the Hyperlink option
- Add the web address to the page you would like to hyperlink to
Do note that you cannot hyperlink a text box partially. The full text box must be hyperlinked.
- Images: upload from your computer, Brandfolder, Unsplash, Pexels, and Iconfinder. There are certain file types that you can upload to Brandfolder Custom Templates, these file types are: .JPG, .PNG, .SVG, .TIFF, .HEIC. There is also a default size limit of 25 MB.
Do note: the first time you upload from Brandfolder you will need to input your API key. The API key can be found when you are logged into Brandfolder: https://brandfolder.com/profile#integrations
- Background: add background images or colors as well as adjust the size.
- Shapes: add shapes to the template using either Iconfinder or basic preloaded shapes. Images can also be inserted into the shapes.
- Adding and cloning pages: click on the Add New Page Button below your project preview to make the project multi-page. Clone a page (make a copy) by clicking on the Clone Page button. Or you can also expand the menu on the right-hand side and select Pages > Add.
Zones are square or rectangular areas that you can designate on the Template for your user to place a design element (image, video or SVG) in. Zones allow you to control whether the design element will be masked or fit fully within the area. This feature is great for logos, headshots, headers, and more.
How to Add a Zone
Zones can be created two separate ways in the Editor.
The first option is to:
- Click the Images button on the left menu
- Click the Zone option creating an empty Zone (a placeholder icon will appear)
The second way you can do this is to:
- Add an image, video, or square/rectangle shape to the editor
- Select the Convert to Zone option in the left menu
Configuring a Zone
Once the Zone is added there are a few properties you need to set.
- Choose the Element Position to be either Fit or Mask.
- Fit: Image or SVG will be placed in the Zone but can be resized or repositioned anywhere within the designated space. Elements will not be cropped.
- Mask: Image will take up the entire space leaving no margin. Elements that don’t fit the Zone exactly will be cropped.
- Select the Default Orientation (sets where an element placed will be within the Zone). *If you chose Mask on Step 1, you will skip steps 3 & 4.
- Select the Default Margin. This will set how much space the element will have between the edges of the Zone and the borders of the element.
- Select the Rotation. This will set the angle at which the element will be placed.
- Select the ability constrain resize proportions.
- Select arrangement and alignment.
You will notice there is a Configuration Mode which allows you to preview the default placement and position for example elements of different aspect ratios given the options listed above. Turn on configuration mode to generate a preview within the Zone for you to visualize.
After you have created a new asset and have configured your project you will want to setup locking configurations.